Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request FormContact Us
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton Hotels Prepares For Earth Hour 2010 Around The World
March 22, 2010
The Hilton Hotels brand is committed to environmental sustainability and individual Hilton properties around the world are finding creative ways support Earth Hour 2010. Participating hotels will save energy by dimming or switching off non-essential lights during Earth Hour at 8:30 p.m. local time Saturday, March 27. From outdoor Hawaiian storytelling to candlelight dinners, many properties are planning additional activities to create memorable experiences for guests while bringing awareness to global sustainability issues. Hilton will share sustainability tips through its official brand Facebook (facebook.com/Hilton) and Twitter channels (@HiltonOnline).
The following is a sampling of some of upcoming Earth Hour activities across the Hilton brand:
- During Earth Hour, the Hilton Hawaiian Village will be encouraging their guests (over 7,000 booked for that night) to turn off their room lights and TVs and go outdoors to the lagoon for an evening of "Ghost Stories, Myths & Legends of Hawaii," told by a renowned local storyteller. Depending on the sky, he may also talk about Hawaiian astrology and wrap in Earth Hour with stories of the planets.
- During the week leading up to Earth Hour, Hilton Cardiff will provide guests with a welcome letter containing information about the global initiative and upcoming hotel events. The hotel has teamed with a local radio station to promote a drawing to win a candlelight dinner for two on the evening of Earth Hour, and the bar will offer live, unplugged "Jazz in the Dark" music that night.
- Hilton Cyprus is promoting Earth Hour on in-room TV screens and encouraging Team Members to participate at home and update their Facebook and Twitter profiles to tell their friends they support Earth Hour. In addition, the hotel is communicating with business partners, associates, customers, members and local media to inform them of Earth Hour and related hotel initiatives. The night of March 27, a special, candlelit Earth Hour stand offering fruit punch will be set up at the hotel entrance to inform guests of the evening's activities.
- The Caledonian Hilton in Edinburgh will host a candlelight dinner with special cocktails and acoustic music.
- Parmelia Hilton Perth, recipient of the 2009 Australian Hotel Assosication award for WA's Best Environmental Initiative demonstrating the hotels active commitment to the environment, will offer a special three course ‘Earth Hour' menu will be served in the Adelphi Steak House & Globe Restaurant. The menu features organic, local, sustainable produce with energy saving cooking methods. Dinner will be served by candlelight.
- All Hilton hotels in Belgium will have a special Earth Hour menu consisting of items using limited CO2 emissions. Front office Team Members will wear a green "We Care" hat, and welcome letters placed in guestrooms will encourage guests to conserve power usage during Earth Hour.
- Focusing on food and beverage, Hilton Strasbourg will create a special bio-amuse-bouche, while the bar will serve "green low carbon footprint" cocktails with ingredients from locally sourced produce. The cocktails will be available "buy one/get one free" during Earth Hour.
- Hilton hotels throughout the UAE have been gearing up for Earth Hour through Team Member briefings and planning information and poster displays in the lobby and public areas.
- The team at Hilton Malta was so eager to register on the Earth Hour page that they teamed up with the Malta Hotels and Restaurants Association to promote the event and officially put Malta on the
Earth Hour map. They also received official support from the Parliamentary Secretary.
- Hilton Minneapolis plans to put Earth Hour displays at the front desk and place an Earth Hour countdown clock in the lobby. On the evening of March 27, guests will be invited to a special Earth Hour reception in the hotel lounge with discounted drinks and complimentary snacks.
- At Hilton Kuwait Resort, guests will be given Earth Hour information at check-in and invited to enjoy a candlelight dinner in one of the restaurants.
- Hilton Dartford Bridge will support the local economy by offering a special menu of traditional Kent food that includes many items from nearby farms. They will feature candle displays outside and inside the hotel.
- Hilton Odawara Resort and Spa will invite all guests to a unique "lights-off" party in the lobby lounge, which will include a countdown to Earth Hour followed by live, acoustic jazz and an Earth Hour raffle.
- Hilton Tokyo will treat guests to chocolates along with an Earth Hour information letter inviting them to turn off the air conditioning and room lights during Earth Hour. Housekeeping will not turn on lights during turndown.
- Hilton Petaling Jaya is creating an Earth Hour 2010 "Night to Remember" by hosting a special 5-course candlelight dinner intended to reduce the carbon footprint by using only local produce.
- The first hotel to receive Florida's green lodging palm certification, Hilton Naples will be participating in Earth Hour as part of its ongoing energy savings program, which includes timers on lights, motion sensors and rigorous attention to electronics shut off or put on stand-by at the end of each day.
- At the Excelsior Hilton Palermo guests will be invited to leave their rooms dark and to dine by candlelight (without menus) from selections made with local products.
- Besides offering special food and beverage preparations, Hilton Izmir will be displaying Earth Hour posters in the reception area and posting a notice on their website to help bring awareness to the Earth Hour event.
Bob Brooks,Vice President Brand Culture and Strategic Initiatives, Hilton Hotels brand, is a 28 year Hilton Team Member.
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For nearly a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has been proudly welcoming the world's travelers. With 575 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts provides the foundation for memorable travel experiences and values to every guest who walks through its doors. As the flagship brand of Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to set the standard for hospitality, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is a part of the award-winning Hilton Honors program. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi, and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations), available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors mobile app. Begin your journey at www.hilton.com and learn more about the brand by visiting news.hilton.com or following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.