Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request FormContact Us
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton Worldwide Achieves Record By Opening More Properties In The Last Two Years Than Any Other Equivalent Period In Its History
Company Also Announces Several Other Major Accomplishments From The 2009 Year End
January 25, 2010
MCLEAN, Va. - Hilton Worldwide announced today that, building on the record year the company had in terms of development in 2008, the next best year in the company's 91-year history was 2009. In 2009, despite major challenges for the hospitality industry overall, Hilton Worldwide added 302 new hotels and more than 45,000 rooms to a total count that is now more than 3,500 hotels and 585,000 rooms. In 2008, Hilton Worldwide opened 327 properties. For the fourth consecutive year, Hilton Worldwide opened more newly-constructed guest rooms in the U.S. than any other company.* Additionally, Hilton Worldwide's pipeline includes more than 900 hotels with more than 129,000 rooms scheduled to open. Among many other highlights in 2009, Hilton Worldwide also:
- Signed or approved 281 hotel deals with more than 46,000 rooms.
- Moved into first place in terms of open and operating rooms in the U.S.*
- Maximized opportunities globally, with 37 percent of its pipeline of rooms now outside the U.S., compared to 15 percent only two years ago. Additionally, in 2009, 50 percent of room construction starts occurred outside the U.S. versus 17 percent two years ago.
- Increased both its market share and customer satisfaction ratings in each of its ten brands.
- Expanded its luxury portfolio by more than 100 percent within the U.S. and nearly 50 percent outside the U.S.
- Launched a new mid-tier extended-stay brand, Home2 Suites by Hilton, and approved 53 hotels for development as well as broke ground on the first property in the U.S.
- Was the only hotel company with multiple brand winners in "J.D. Power's 2009 North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Study." Embassy Suites ranked highest in guest satisfaction among Upscale chains for the sixth time, and Hilton Garden Inn ranked highest in guest satisfaction among Mid-Scale Full-Service chains for the seventh time.
- Received the Readers Choice "Best in Business Travel" and "Best Hotel Web Site" (Hilton.com) by Business Traveler magazine for its Hilton brand. Hilton also received many other accolades including the "Best Hotel for Meetings" and "Best Hotel for Business Services" by Executive Travel Leading Edge Awards.
- Was honored by Entrepreneur magazine when its Hampton brand was selected as the fourth-best franchise business in the U.S. in its Franchise 500® list.
- Unveiled its new name and corporate logo that better reflect the global company it is today and will continue to be in the future.
"Despite the serious challenges resulting from the macroeconomic environment, last year was an outstanding year for our company in many significant ways," said Christopher J. Nassetta, President & Chief Executive Officer, Hilton Worldwide. "As the global markets continue to improve, I believe Hilton Worldwide is better positioned than ever to achieve our mission to be the preeminent global hospitality company - the first choice of guests, team members and owners alike."
About Hilton Worldwide
Hilton Worldwide is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For more than 90 years, Hilton Worldwide has been offering business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. The company is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Its brands are comprised of more than 3,500 hotels in 81 countries and include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites Hotels, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages the world-class guest reward program Hilton HHonors.
For more information about the company, please visit http://www.hiltonworldwide.com
* Smith Travel Research, U.S. Pipeline Report, December 2009
Aaron Radelet, Hilton Worldwide
Katherine Mikesell, Hilton Worldwide
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For nearly a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has been proudly welcoming the world's travelers. With more than 575 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts provides the foundation for memorable travel experiences and values every guest who walks through its doors. As the flagship brand of Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to set the standard for hospitality, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is a part of the award-winning Hilton Honors program. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi, and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations), available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Begin your journey at www.hilton.com and learn more about the brand by visiting news.hilton.com or following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.