Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request Form
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton Sanya Resort and Spa Commits To World Wide Fund For Nature’s (WWF) Earth Hour Initiative
March 02, 2009
SANYA, China - Hilton Sanya Resort and Spa today announced that it will be joining 16 other Hilton hotels in the Asian region in committing to the World Wide Fund for Nature’s (WWF) Earth Hour initiative this March for the first time.
WWF Earth Hour is a global initiative which hopes to eventually reach out to more than one billion people, asking individuals, businesses and Governments to switch off their lights for just one hour on Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 8:30pm. This symbolic gesture is designed to highlight the importance of action on climate change.
Andy Ridley, Global Director of Earth Hour for the WWF said: “The business community has an incredible ability and responsibility to engage employees, customers and suppliers to create a sustainable future for our planet, and we therefore welcome the involvement of major international businesses such as Hilton Hotels in Earth Hour.”
To support this important initiative, Hilton Sanya Resort & Spa has developed a series of activities to provide a wonderful opportunity for engagement between guests and hotel staff on March 28 such as:
- Switching off all Jacuzzis (6 indoors and 3 outdoors).
- Switching off the lake fountain.
- Using only 4 hotel buses instead of 5
- Switching off the air conditioning in the back office
- Switch off all office air conditioning from 6pm onwards till the next day
- Shutting down laundry services from 8pm-9pm.
Speaking about Hilton’s support of Earth Hour, Martin Rinck, President of Hilton Hotels Corporation - Asia Pacific said: “At Hilton we are committed to the heart of the communities in which we operate. Our support of Earth Hour will enable us to illustrate this in a tangible way, while simultaneously improving our environmental practices. Most of all Earth Hour at Hilton will allow our hotel team members to work together with our guests, to raise awareness that everyone can make a difference.”
Hilton is committed to constantly working to improve its environmental performance and was one of the founding members of the International Tourism Partnership (www.tourismpartnership.org). This organization is designed to bring together leaders of some of the largest travel and tourism companies to work through collective, industry-wide action at local, destination and country level to encourage real progress towards a more sustainable hotel, travel and tourism industry.
The support of Earth Hour by Hilton <<location>> and other Hilton Hotels in Asia is in addition to support given by the hotel group in Europe and the US.
Hilton’s Environmental Policy
The Hilton Family of Hotels recognizes our environmental responsibility and is committed to improving our performance towards a sustainable future – all while enhancing the guest and team member experience. To ensure sustainable business practices in the countries in which we operate, Hilton will:
• Embrace an environmental mission and strategy that encompasses each and every team member
• Focus upon key environmental commitments: Energy efficiency, CO2 reduction, water efficiency, waste reduction, renewable energy, and sustainable buildings and operations which include building design and construction, hotel and corporate operations, chemical management and purchasing
• Ensure that environmentally friendly initiatives and tactics will positively impact the guest experience
• Set targets, measure, benchmark, and continually improve our performance
• Liaise with our suppliers and business partners to improve their environmental performance
• Influence land use in harmony with nature and construction by promoting the use of established environmental best practices
• Support environmental initiatives within the local community
• Communicate our environmental achievement to our team members and guests
• Publish our performance against our established goals
About Earth Hour
On Saturday, March 28th, 2009 at 8:30 PM, people around the world will turn off their lights for one hour, Earth Hour, to show how by working together they can make a difference in the fight against climate change. Already over 1,300 cities and towns in 80 countries have committed to switch off their lights for Earth Hour, a symbolic event which is the highlight of a major campaign to encourage individuals, businesses and communities to take action to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis. Earth Hour, led by world’s largest and most experienced independent conservation organization, WWF, aims to reach 1 billion people to illustrate the world communities’ support for action on climate change.
Serena Liu, Marketing & Communications Manager, Hilton Sanya Resort & Spa
+86 (0)898 8858 8888 - 8860